Summer Exercise Challenge: 100 Mile Summer

Posted on Jun 17 2013 - 7:00am by Markell

Hey lovely readers! Who else is excited for summer? So, usually, people try to get in shape before summer, or at least thats the idea, right? Well, if you’re anything like me, you missed that boat and are now really wishing you’d started working out a few months ago, right? Well, there is no time like the present! I am joining up with Jen at The Cutest Curliest and a few other bloggers to bring you all some awesome exercise challenges to get you/keep you in shape this summer. Stick with us and by the end of the summer, you will be so glad you did. Your future self will thank you for it.

So, Jen is hosting two challenges and I am doing a running challenge. Jen is doing an ab challenge and a squat challenge.  You can find both of those in this post if you’re interested in doing one of them. You can do one, two, or all of them. I am in charge of a running challenge. I wanted to keep it simple, but still challenging. Even if you aren’t a runner, YOU CAN DO THIS. It doesn’t even have to be running, you can walk. The idea is that by the end of the summer, you will have walked/run ONE HUNDRED miles. Thats a lot, right? But, it’s totally do able and at the end of the summer you will be the awesome achiever of an amazing goal. Sound good?

So I’ve set it up so you only have to run/walk three times a week. Seriously, you can do it. (I’ll probably say that at least five times during this post). Even if you walk and walk slowly, the most any one of these days would likely take you is an hour. You can handle an hour three times a week, right?

Before you get going on this challenge (I have it set to start on a Monday) take some time to get ready. You need to have a good pair of shoes, some decent running clothes (cute clothes make a big difference, seriously!) and some basic running knowledge. The Early Morning Runner did an awesome series on running form that really helped me. I highly suggest you read it.

I’m going to be doing weekly check ins each week and a few tips that have helped me during this challenge. I am also hoping to post one healthy recipe per week because you can’t out train a bad diet. I would love for you all to check in and let me know how you’re doing each week! And, its totally okay if you miss a few work outs! That doesn’t mean you have to quit. Just get back on that horse. YOU CAN DO IT!

If you have a blog, it’d be fun for you to tell your readers about this and post weekly updates so they can be motivated by your awesome success and so you can be accountable to keep up the hard work. If you do, leave me a comment so I can check out your post!

So, here is your training program. You can click the link under to download it. This preview is just the first half of the program. As you can see, it starts off pretty easy with just 5 miles the first week. See, YOU CAN DO THIS!

exerciseform

Click here to download the 100 mile summer schedule

21 Comments so far. Feel free to join this conversation.

1. Amberly June 17, 2013 at 10:26 am - Reply

Umm… I LOVE this idea! I'm going to do it!!! thanks for posting!

• amouseinmykitchen June 17, 2013 at 12:59 pm - Reply

I'm so excited 🙂 I'm doing biweekly updates and the other writer on my blog is doing updates the other week, so we'll try and have lots of tips/recipes/encouragement to get your through your 100 miles 🙂 I'd love to see your progress too! If you decide to post about it, be sure to leave me a link so I can see!

2. Gabrielle June 17, 2013 at 7:51 pm - Reply

I wish! I started running in January and I LOVE it! But I'm waiting on a broken toe to heal–doc says it'll take 6 weeks, minimum, and at week 5, it's still too swollen to fit in my running shoes. 🙁 But hopefully soon. I miss it and had finally run a 5 mile race just before my injury (which happened while cleaning house, NOT running!).

• amouseinmykitchen June 19, 2013 at 8:12 am - Reply

Ah! That's the worst… and it's not even a good story to tell… pretend you broke it when you jumped off a roof chasing a guy who just stole an old ladies purse… that makes for a much better story 🙂 I hope your injury heals quickly!

3. Jess & Lynns June 18, 2013 at 5:25 am - Reply

This is a fantastic idea! Definitely be sharing it with our readers and I'll (Jess) be taking part in it as well. Can't wait to check in with you and your progress!

• amouseinmykitchen June 19, 2013 at 8:11 am - Reply

Awesome! I can't wait to hear how you do, too! Be sure to leave me a link here if you post updates so I can see how you're doing! I'll try and check your blog, but sometimes I forget…

4. Crafting.in.the.Rain June 18, 2013 at 10:08 pm - Reply

Great goal! I just started lifting weights and doing real cardio. Just hoping to be stronger and healthier!

• amouseinmykitchen June 19, 2013 at 8:10 am - Reply

Thanks! I really need to do more weights… I really want to be toned, but I haven't fully committed myself to it yet… it's crazy how much of your life changes when you REALLY start working out well & living healthier.

5. aubrey June 18, 2013 at 10:53 pm - Reply

I'm totally in. My post will go up tomorrow. It's honestly a pretty weak post, but I didn't feel the need to repeat everything you said here. I just linked people over here instead.

• amouseinmykitchen June 19, 2013 at 8:09 am - Reply

I just checked it out 🙂 I'm so in awe at your for training for a marathon.. that is my goal one day.. mostly just to say that I did it..

6. nmburk June 19, 2013 at 3:20 pm - Reply

Thanks for linking up at Two Girls and a Party. I’ve been trying to find some motivation for the summer. Maybe this will help 🙂 http://365ishpins.com

• nmburk June 19, 2013 at 3:22 pm - Reply

Hmmm… guess I can't use html 🙂

• amouseinmykitchen June 19, 2013 at 7:45 pm - Reply

don't worry.. I got ya covered 🙂

7. Madalyn McArthur June 19, 2013 at 5:24 pm - Reply

Thanks! I'm so excited!

• amouseinmykitchen June 19, 2013 at 7:45 pm - Reply

Im glad! Be sure to let me know how it goes fo ya!

8. Allison June 23, 2013 at 12:48 pm - Reply

Thanks for the great idea! Visiting from http://www.allisonskinnyjeans.com

9. web designer zurich January 24, 2014 at 8:00 am - Reply

I am regular reader, how are you everybody? This post posted at

this site is truly nice.

Leave A Response