Reversable Super Hero Cape Tutorial

Posted on May 8 2013 - 8:59pm by Markell

A little while ago, my mother bought my son a pair of Batman pajamas that have a velco cape. My little guy LOVED it. He wanted to wear it all the time. That’s totally fine with me, except that it only velcoed onto the one shirt. Every so often, the thing has got to get washed. I remembered that when I was little, my grandma had made a super hero cape that my brothers and I loved. I decided that I would make one for my kids.

This project involves a little bit of applique which can be a little intimidating to some, but I find that if I use a little heat n’ bond, it is much easier.

Let’s get down to business.

Here are the supplies you need:
1 yard each of two different fabrics
1 square of velcro
heat n’ bond
sewing machine
scissors
an iron

Here is your pattern. It’s pretty crappy, but you get the idea:

Here is what you do:

Fold your fabric in half. Using the pattern to measure and cut out the material. You are cutting only half of the cape, so don’t cut along the folded side.

Do the same thing with your second fabric. Use the first piece as your pattern so they are the same size. You should end up with two piece of fabric that each look like a cape.

Cut a square a little bigger than the symbol you want on the cape. Iron the heat n bond to it. To do this, make sure the paper side of the heat n bond is up.

Put it on top of your square. Don’t pull apart the heat n bond at this point. Iron using medium heat. Do this to a square of both colors of fabric.

Cut out your symbols. I went with an A because it is the first letter of my little guy’s name. On the other side, I used a star. I didn’t use a pattern at all, I just used chalk to draw it out and cut it. It’s not perfect, but I wanted it to look that way.

Peel the paper off of the heat n bond. Place the symbol onto the cape fabric. Make sure it is place correctly, and then iron it on. Do the same with the other side.

Your next step is to sew on the applique. Go slow and stay as close to the edges of the applique as you can.

After your applique is sewed on, it’s time for the velcro. Put one piece on the top right of each cape.

Once you get the velcro in place, pin both sides of the cape together, wrong sides facing in.

Sew them together, but make sure you leave a hole big enough for you to be able to turn it right side out.

Turn it, and sew the hole up.

Enjoy your cape!

Looking for more dress up tutorials? Click here.

9 Comments so far. Feel free to join this conversation.

1. Gabrielle May 9, 2013 at 8:25 pm - Reply

This is so cute!! I've made one like this as well. So easy and fun!

2. Angel May 10, 2013 at 1:26 pm - Reply

This is adorable. I got to try one. I noticed you've also got a lot of yummy recipes. I'd love it if you'd like to link some of them up to our Recipe Hop going on now.
    Angel

3. Vonnie May 10, 2013 at 5:28 pm - Reply

You made it look so easy! My nephew would love one….

4. Melinda Dunne May 10, 2013 at 10:38 am - Reply

My son would have loved this when he was younger! It looks fairly simple to do too.

5. sineamarie May 11, 2013 at 12:19 am - Reply

What an amazing idea. When we were kids we used towels. Not quite the same thing but, in our hearts, we could fly…and beat the bad guys!
    New follower here.
    Would love it if you'd stop by my weekly Wonderful Wednesday Blog Hop on Ducks 'n a Row. http://www.ducksnarow.com/

6. marigoldsloft May 15, 2013 at 1:57 pm - Reply

Thank you so much for linking on Tutorial Thursdays Linky Party 🙂
    I can't wait to see what you will be sharing with us this week!
    x
    Natalie
    Marigolds' Loft

7. Christine June 10, 2013 at 9:30 am - Reply

This is soooo cute!! I want a cape too!

Thanks so much for sharing this at The DIY Dreamer… From Dream To Reality! I can't wait to see what you link up tomorrow evening!

8. social marketplace December 30, 2013 at 1:07 am - Reply

Have a wonderful day. I like the story you have shared in this. A lot of information useful to all. I read this blog many more times. Keep posting. Thank you.

9. Desiree February 21, 2014 at 6:36 pm - Reply

I enjoy what you guys tend to be up too. This type of clever work and exposure!

Keep up the very good works guys I’ve added you

guys to my own blogroll.

Leave A Response