Being Fit Is A Journey

Posted on Sep 2 2013 - 7:00am by Markell

Hey all! Today marks the first day of the last week of the 100 mile summer challenge. When I first started this challenge, I had ran a total of 15 miles and my fastest mile was about a 12 minute mile. I would go on about a 2 mile run and I would be EXHAUSTED by the time I was done. (don’t get me wrong, 2 miles is a long ways). Now, I can consistently run a 10 minute mile, and I try to go on one run each week that is more than 5 miles. The rest of my runs are between 2 and 3 miles. I have made HUGE improvements. I have to be honest, I am going to end this challenge with about 75 miles. Life happens, and I wasn’t able to log all my miles, but I am SO glad that I did the miles I did.

I think that a lot of people try to “get fit,” like it’s a specific state of being that you can reach and then just be there. Once you “get fit,” in many people’s minds, you are in shape, and no more work is needed. I have been guilty of that kind of thinking many times in my life. I have often planned a 12 week work out plan (such as the 100 mile summer) and assumed that by the time I was done, I would be “in shape.” I would be “fit.” And while it’s true that by the end of the 12 weeks, if I stick to it, I am in better shape, I have come to learn that it’s more than that. Fitness is a way of life. It’s a journey. It’s not just a goal you reach and you are done. Because the second you start thinking that way, things go down hill. I used to feel like losing weight was a full time job. I realized that it only feels that way because I had to change so many of my habits in order to lose weight. When I made lifestyle changes instead of going on quick fad diets, losing weight became a natural thing. When I focused on being healthy instead of losing weight, the weight came off. Not flying off, like I would like, but it came off slowly, and healthily.

Sorry that this post is a little ramble-y. I didn’t really have a plan when I started writing. The purpose was to motivate you. Motivate you to keep going. So what if you didn’t lose weight this week. I promise that ding dong and sixteen cookies aren’t going to make it better. Push through. Think back to how things used to be, how far you’ve come. Visualize how far you can go. Your body is amazing. It’s meant to feel amazing, to be amazing. Push yourself a little farther than you thought you could. Be a little better than you were yesterday. KEEP GOING. And remember, being fit is a journey, not a destination. It is not a place you will reach tomorrow or next week or a year from now. It is a constant, everyday decision. And just because you stray from the “fit” path once in awhile doesn’t mean you can’t hop right back on again.

Traci created this awesome printable for you to hang on your fridge or wherever you can see it often so you can remind yourself of these things.

BeingFitIsAJourney-page-001

BeingFitIsAJourney

8 Comments so far. Feel free to join this conversation.

1. Aubrey September 2, 2013 at 8:51 am - Reply

People keep asking what I'm going to so after my marathon, and I'm like keep running. I didn't work my butt off to just stop. I was hoping to get a second 100 miles in, but I'm going to be a little short too:(

• amouseinmykitchen September 2, 2013 at 11:01 pm - Reply

It's amazing that you got so much running in this summer! You are my idol, for sure. Keep up the good work!

2. Michelle September 2, 2013 at 8:52 pm - Reply

My husband and I try to do something active every day. It doesn't matter what, sometimes it's running, or biking, or going for a walk, or playing at the park with the kids. It's definitely easier to keep going than to stop and start again.

• amouseinmykitchen September 2, 2013 at 11:00 pm - Reply

I totally agree. When I take a few days off for whatever reason, it is SO hard to get motivated to start again. It's important to stay in the habit! (A lot less work, too!)

3. Kristin September 5, 2013 at 6:12 pm - Reply

I absolutely have been guilty of ending a challenge, DietBet, or what have you thinking I can just go crazy. Then I find myself sinking downward fast! I do so much better if I keep setting goals and try to keep my breaks minimal. It's all about making manageable changes so you're successful and pretty soon you don't think of it as something out of the ordinary. I was just thinking the other day of creating a post along those lines, now I'm sure I should.

I have a newer link party, Tips and articles Tuesday, for people to share and ask health / fitness advice. If it interests you, come check it out! We'd love if you'd link up too!

Kristin
    Exploringdomesticity.blogspot.com
    Likea2-year-old.blogspot.com (current weight loss blog – soon to be combined with Exploring Domesticity)

4. spiritedlife September 7, 2013 at 2:47 pm - Reply

When I really started my weight loss journey a couple of years ago, I made this change in my life. It truly is in every decision that you make, whether good or bad. You just need to make sure that your are doing way more good than bad if you want to lose weight and just more good than bad when you're already "fit".

Thank you for linking up with Fitness Friday.  You have been pinned at: Fitness Friday Spotlights!

5. Lisa F. September 8, 2013 at 8:34 pm - Reply

It doesn’t matter that you didn’t hit the 100 mile mark within the set time frame; like you said, it’s the journey that matters…and the journey continues on. Good job!

• amouseinmykitchen September 9, 2013 at 9:15 am - Reply

Thank you! I feel amazing that I did as many miles as I did, having never really run before in my life.

Leave A Response