I have a serious love/hate relationship with money. I love that with money I can make my house more comfortable, I can serve others, and create fun memories with my family. I hate that money can cause arguments, that the pursuit of money takes my husband away from our family, and that so much of the world revolves around money.
Because of this love/hate relationship that I have, I decided to dedicate the month of March to getting my budget under control. And, for anyone who is working on the LDS personal progress program, one of the experiences (Choice and Accountability #7 and Knowledge #2) can both be at least part way accomplished by doing this challenge. After careful thought, I have come up with a plan.
Here’s what I’m going to do
- Use only cash for the entire month (with a few excpetions)
- Track all of our purchases
- Use a shopping list every time I go into a store
- Be able to see trends and figure out where we can save money in the long run
- Limit or stop impulse buys
- Save money
- Get rid of some debt
I am going to post at least twice a week on this, if not more. I’m going to create a tracking sheet, I’m going to review a few budgeting aps, and create a planning sheet for the month. I still don’t have ALL the details hammered out, but I think it’s going to be good.
Want to join me?
I think there is a HUGE power in doing things with other people. The more people that do this, the more support everyone who does it will have. So, if you want to join me, here’s what I want you to do:
- Come up with a list of your “exceptions” to your cash only budget. For example, you may be paying bills online, or writing a check for your rent. I’ll have a planning sheet tomorrow for you to keep track of the exceptions.
- Think of why you want to do this. It can be something like so you can get better control of your money, but I think it would be way better to have something specific. For instance, I am doing this in large part so that we can save up for a car. A measureable goal will make it easier to stick to the challenge.
- Talk to your family about getting on board with you
- Put your email in the “follow by email” section up at the top left of this post. That way, you won’t miss a post about this challenge and you’ll recieve encouragement to get you through the month!
I’m really excited about this. I hope you guys are, too! Leave a comment if you are up for the challenge so I can keep track of everyone who is doing it! And, if you see this after the challenge is already over, you can do it anyway. I will link all the other blog posts about the challenge to this one to help you out. Good luck, happy saving!Share