I have got an awesome recipe to share with you. This is part of the 31 days to a closer family series. I believe that one of the best ways to get close to family is by sharing good food. My sister in law, Jessamyn, and I came up with this recipe for mozzarella sticks and marinara sauce. It was a lot of fun to make and it was delicious to eat. Make these with a family member and share them with everyone.
It’s pretty simple. It works best if you freeze the cheese sticks before hand. Preheat your oven to 350. You need a dish that you can crack 6 eggs in to and a dish that you can put the batter mixture in to. Roll the cheese stick in the eggs, then the batter mixture.
Repeat that 2 or 3 more times depending on how thick you want the batter to be. Heat up some coconut oil (about an inch on the bottom of the pan). You do NOT want to get it too hot. I had mine on about medium low. If it’s too hot, the batter will burn.
So, after you roll the cheese sticks in the bread the cheese sticks, put them in the hot oil until the batter has browned. It doesn’t take long at all, so be sure you watch them the whole time.
Then, stick them on a baking sheet that is lined with aluminum foil. Once all the cheese sticks have been breaded and fried, bake them for 10 minutes at 350. That’s all there is to the mozzarella sticks.
The marinara sauce is SUPER easy. Throw all of the ingredients into a pan, bring it to almost a boil, turn it down and let it simmer for a little bit. This sauce doesn’t necessarily “grab” onto the cheese sticks like the stuff at restaurants, but it is easy to make and it is really yummy.
Here are the recipes:
- 1 pound mozzarella cheese sticks
- 2 cups Italian bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese with red pepper
- 3 tablespoons garlic salt (more or less depending on your preference for garlic)
- 6 eggs, beaten
- Turn the oven on to 350.
- Line a cooking sheet with aluminum foil
- Heat about an inch of coconut oil in the bottom of a pan on medium high heat.
- Roll the mozzarella sticks in the eggs then the breading mixture three to four times.
- Fry the mozzarella sticks in the oil until the batter has browned all the way around.
- Place mozzarella sticks on the foil lined pan
- Bake mozzarella sticks at 350 for 20 minutes
- 1 can diced Italian tomatoes
- 6 ounces tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons Italian seasoning
- 1 tablespoon dried onion flakes
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/4 cup milk
- pepper to taste
- Mix all ingredients in a sauce pan.
- Heat to almost a boil.
- Turn down to simmer for 5-10 minutes