I talk a lot about how much I love our fifth wheel. And I do. We live in a fifth wheel with three kids, age 5, 4, and 2. Our primary reason for living in it is to save money, and have the freedom to go to where the opportunities are. Right now, we’re in Colorado, because my husband could take a year of classes here for free (thanks to his Native American heritage). That wouldn’t have happened without the fifth wheel.
BUT. It’s not all butterflies and roses, people. There are a few things that are really tough!
1. Laundry. I REALLY wanted a fifth wheel with a washer/dryer combo, but it just didn’t happen. We are lucky where we are at, because we have access to a washer/dryer for free, but it’s still a pain. In our last location, we had to use the laundry mat and a hand crank machine. This is the one we have. It actually works well, but it’s for sure not as convenient as a good old fashioned washer and dryer.
2. Clutter. While we have WAY WAY less stuff, and it is easy to clean, quickly, it seems like the messes explode almost instantly. It’s REALLY easy for three little kids to make a HUGE mess in 100 square feet of living space. (Imagine that).
3. Early mornings. Or the lack there of. I used to get up before the kids, but any movement now will wake them up. That means if dad goes to class early, the kids are awake. Early morning workouts can’t happen. Eating before the kids wake up can’t happen. I really do miss that early morning solitude.
4. Fridge space. Actually, freezer space. I’ve been able to make the fridge work pretty well, but the freezer is SO tiny. I’m used to having an extra freezer (two actually) and now having just this small freezer has been a challenge, but it’s not terrible.
5. Dumping the black tank. Okay, this actually isn’t that bad. But I had to put a fifth thing, so I put this down. It is way easier than I thought it would be. Every two weeks, or so, I pull a handle, and hook up a hose and let it run for awhile. Then I unhook the hose and push the handle back in. Easy peasy, but it’s something I definitely don’t love doing.
That’s really all I can think of right now. All in all, we’re so glad that we’re living in the fifth wheel right now. As the kids get older, my tune might change, but for now, it’s exactly where we’re supposed to be.Share