One of the question I get more than anything else is “Is it safe to workout and eat healthy while I’m nursing?” I know, most people think that just by nursing you can lose all your baby weight. NOT TRUE. At least not for me.
I’m not a doctor, so you should for sure consult with one before doing anything but…
studies have shown that it is very much safe to workout and eat healthy while nursing. BUT you don’t want to:
– follow a super restrictive calorie diet. In fact, you need an extra 300-500 calories when you’re nursing
– workout before your body is ready
– drastically change your eating habits quickly
– lose more than 1-2 pounds/week on average
And you DO want to:
– drink TONS of water. A depleted milk supply is more likely to be from dehydration than from working out or eating healthy foods
– eat foods that will help your milk supply. Quinoa and oatmeal are two fabulous foods. Garlic is also said to help your supply.
– listen to your body! Don’t push yourself too hard, but don’t use your baby as an excuse either!
– eat GOOD calories. No eating lots of ice cream just because you need to make up some extra calories.
If you’re wanting to lose weight, and you’re nursing, it IS possible. Like I said, I’m not a medical expert. I got this information from studies on the internet. I’ve been successfully losing weight and helping other nursing mothers do the same. You don’t have to wait until you’re done nursing to get rid of that baby weight if that’s something you want to do!Share